I fired up the kiln a few days ago with a load full of experimental work. Most of it involved new glaze combinations involving Jen’s Juicy Fruit.
Headed in the Right Direction
I got some fantastic results! When combined with certain glazes in my current lineup the Jen’s Juicy Fruit made some interesting effects. Lots of dripping and color changes. It seemed to work best with the Dark Brown and Waterfall Brown glazes. Here are a few quick shots of the good:
Still A Long Way to Go
It wasn’t all rainbows and unicorns. On a handful of pieces there were some glaze blisters from the Jen’s Juicy Fruit. I’ll have to do some research and check my notes to see if I can figure out what happened. From what I can see so far the blisters only show up at the edges of the JJF where it is running over another glaze. It wasn’t one particular glaze underneath the JJF, and it doesn’t always happen on the glazes that produced blisters. One pot even had blisters on one side of the pot but not on the other. So I’ve got some work to do. I’ll probably start here and here for more information. I’m firing the kiln again soon and I have one of the blistered pieces ready to re-fire. We’ll see if that helps. I’ll also try to get some photos of the rest of the pots in the last load uploaded.